Acute Respiratory Infections (ARIs) are responsible for 4.25 million deaths annually and are the third largest cause of mortality in the world.1
The clinical manifestations of viral and bacterial illnesses are often similar and may require testing to differentiate between them.
Rapid assays at the point of care have been helpful in particular situations but still offer very limited data because they only test for one pathogen. Results from a rapid, in-office test can lead to a false sense of security for both the patient and the clinician, resulting in the delay of an accurate diagnosis and the progression of the disease due to other vital pathogens being omitted.
Comprehensive molecular diagnostics are needed to help clinicians accurately diagnose and appropriately treat their patients within an acceptable time frame.
1 Ferkol, Thomas & Schraufnagel, Dean (2013). The Global Burden of Respiratory Disease. ATS Journals, Vol. 11, No.3.
Vikor Scientific™ offers the clinician access to the most advanced molecular methodology for pathogen detection, quantification, and resistance gene identification. Vikor delivers rapid and precise results simultaneously through a value-based technology platform, ABXAssist™, which incorporates regional sensitivity and susceptibility patterns, medication costs, antibiotic spectrum of activity, and FDA guidance.
The end product is a patient-centered, value-based care solution that enables providers to make informed treatment decisions that could avoid inappropriate therapy, excess costs, adverse drug events and the progression of disease.
- Prevents delays in diagnosis and treatment (*results within 24 to 48 hours post specimen arrival to lab)
- Detects polymicrobial infections simultaneously
- Identifies up to 49 antibiotic resistance genes in 12 antibiotic categories including Methicillin, Carbapenem and Vancomycin resistance
- Markedly less susceptible to being affected by concurrent antibiotic therapy
- Reduces unnecessary drug exposure and adverse events
- Decreases the progression and spread of infection
- Provides up-to-date regional sensitivity and susceptibility patterns
- Improves selection of narrow-spectrum antibiotics
- Prepares clinicians to make cost-effective treatment decisions
- Easily accessible results (mobile, web-portal or EMR integration)
* Test results could be delayed in some circumstances when there is error in clerical documentation, collections, lab handling, or a delay in shipping.